How to Improve Your Dog’s Experience in the Car
Whether your pup loves riding shotgun or hides behind a bush to avoid getting in the car, there are a number of ways you can improve your dog’s experience in the car. This guide from Battison Honda is going to give you a few tips and tricks for how to improve your pup’s ride so the next time they hear your keys jingle they’ll be jumping at the chance to hop in beside you.
Read more: Top Tips for Sanitizing Your Vehicle
Why Is My Dog Afraid of the Car?
Our dogs get afraid of the car for a number of reasons. For some, they associate it with going to the vet, while others don’t like the loud noises that vehicles and the road make. Most dogs get afraid of the car from time to time, but thankfully for owners, there are plenty of ways to get your pup comfortable riding in the car.
How to Get Your Pup Comfortable in the Car
If your dog has always been fearful of riding in cars or has recently developed anxiety around it, try some of these tips and tricks to get them more comfortable.
- Get them in the car more. Bring your dog somewhere fun, like a park or pet store, to help them associate riding in vehicles with going somewhere enjoyable. This is especially important if all previous car rides have been to places your dog may not enjoy, such as the vet, groomers, or kennel.
- Start with short trips in the car. Don’t expect your fearful pup to get over their anxiety after just one hour-long trip. Start by bringing them on short rides here and there to get them more comfortable.
- Avoid treats or food before driving. Just like us, dogs car get carsick if they’ve eaten too much before hopping in the passenger seat. Be sure to get them in the car a few hours after they’ve eaten.
- Let them get used to the sounds of the car. If your dog won’t even go near a running vehicle on their own, try getting them in the backseat with the door closed and let them get used to the sounds your car makes. Sit in the driver’s seat while the car runs to help them familiarize themselves with the vehicle.
Pet-Friendly Vehicle Travel Products
- Car seat covers
- Pet cargo liners
- Pet bed with harness
- Pet booster seat
- Door protectors
- Seatbelt harness
- Net barrier between front and rear seats
Read more: Which GPS App Should I Use on My Road Trip?
Improving your dog’s experience in the car can help take the stress out of their day and yours. Try out the tips and tricks in this guide from Battison Honda to help improve your dog’s experience on your next trip.
Visit the Battison Honda inventory to find the perfect vehicle for you and your pup’s next big adventure.